The Post I Didnāt Want to Write
This is it. This is the post I didnāt want to write.
I wanted to write an exciting and rollicking post-English Channel swim recap, but instead Iāll take a deep breath and just say it – the swim didnāt happen. The weather got the better of us and despite waiting a week for a window of calm, the window remained firmly closed. The wind blew and it rained, and the waves in the Channel reached 2 ft +.

Iām disappointed, of course, but itās necessary to put all things in perspective since there are no guarantees in this sport. Iāve had so many lovely messages of support (you GUYS! š„¹š„°) and so many questions.
So, hereās the Coles Notes/Bowers Brief version, or the FAQ:
- Pilots book up to 5 swimmers on a tide. I was booked in the number 2 slot with mine. The swimmers in the number 1 spot, a relay from Iceland, did get to swim on Saturday. They made it!
- Saturday was the only day within the previous 2 weeks that boats were out and anyone got to swim, due to a persistent, rotten weather front. I think there were a lot of swimmers hanging around waiting. Misery loves company!
- When you book a swim (often several years in advance), you pay a non-refundable deposit and sign a contract that acknowledges that you may not get to swim and that everything depends on the weather and conditions. The pilots will not compromise anyoneās safety, so you might just have to suck it up and accept that these experienced and capable people know what theyāre doing. The pilots make the call. September has been pretty good in the last few years, especially the water temperature, so I hadn’t been too worried that the weather would be a problem.
- If you donāt get to swim, you may be offered another spot on a future tide, for which you must pay another non-refundable deposit. The current spots offered to me are all number 5s for next June/July, so I will need to weigh my options before confirming a new date.
- Yes, swimming is an expensive sport. Yes, itās worth it.
- Yes, there is a risk in telling people what youāre hoping to do, because it might not happen. 98% of the people in my life are gracious and kind and supportive, which makes it even harder to come back and say that my swim was cancelled. But these people also strengthen my resolve. The other 2%? Fuck āem.
- I have been trying to immediately schedule another epic swim to make use of my substantial training and readiness, but itās really late in the year and I havenāt found anything yet that works with my schedule. I will probably hold off on any major decisions/applications until January.
- Training continues! I love training and the structure it provides. I can be in the lake for another 3 weeks, I reckon!
- I will continue to fundraise for Jumpstart until I reach my goal. You can read all about my efforts here. I so appreciate your generosity!
Stepping on to the plane in London this morning was rough, I canāt deny it. But Iām also buzzing with very happy memories of the millions of fun things we did while we waited, and Iām really grateful to Scott and Brent for coming on this adventure with me. We had so much fun on the Dovercoaster, and thatās what itās all about.
The English say āChin up!ā and āCarry onā, so thatās what I have to do while I wait for my next window. Thanks for following along!